Belmar Blog Home

Sunday, July 08, 2007

D'JAIS & Bruce Springsteen

over the years i have heard a few stories about Bruce hanging out in the bar, in the early 70's this is a story i have never heard

D'JAIS

so I'm out and about- hearing stories from my dad about this band the Muffins that used to play at this local bar around here in 1966 - 6 days a week! my dad was a bartender at another bar close by here at the shore- and the owner decided to get the one day the Muffins werent playing and book them at his bar up the road. this band drew at least 100 people a night during the summer (and where are crowds like that now?)... my dad mentioned the lead singer of this band was a bit of a nutcase- but excellent at what he did.... the bar where my dad worked- called D'Jais, also had a bouncer named Terry McGovern that worked there. Terry knew this kid who was 16 or 17, not of legal age and just wanted to watch the band play-- and Terry asked D Jai (my dads boss) if it was ok if this kid could come in. D Jai said yeah- as long as he just sits there and doesnt walk around the bar.... So this kid used to come in every Monday night and watch this lead singer of the muffins. My dad described him as this skinny kid with crazy hair and pimples... turns out it was Bruce springsteen. Terry later - and still now- works for Bruce. My dad swears Bruce stole his whole thing and image from that lead singer of the Muffins, who he said later disappeared and probably went crazy someplace. LOL!!! Dad also told me later on Bruce auditioned to get a gig at D'Jais and they said no to him... I love my dad's stories- I definitely need him to write them down and make a book out of them one day... anyhow-- all the while while i'm hanging out with azalea and my dad- I'm gone from the washer- I go home and go right to the washer to see the washed out mandala....
NEAR TRAGEDY...




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank Sementa (current owner) told me he has pictures of BRuce dancing on D'Jais bar.

-BelmarBenny

brianne diomede said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brianne diomede said...
This comment has been removed by the author.